Tomato season is coming up, meaning that they are about to fill our fridges with some delicious varieties that will bring us joy all summer long! As someone who hates watching food go to waste, this easy sun-dried tomato recipe is a key to bringing more vegetables to your plate. Sun-dried tomatoes from the grocery store are often filled with tons of salt and preservatives. Not to mention that they are so incredibly expensive! Skip on the rough ingredients and save yourself some money on this incredibly easy recipe.
While you can use any type of tomato for this, I personally love using cherry tomatoes. They are small and easy to cut, and because of their size do not take an incredibly long time to dry out completely. Secondly, cherry tomatoes when dried have a tangy taste that I have always loved, making them burst with flavor in any recipe.
Since these tomatoes are Whole30, paleo, and vegan, they are a great way to dress up salads or eggs. I highly recommend using them on some pizza slices or even tossing them into a pasta dish if you are not doing the Whole30!
How to make Easy Sun-Dried Tomatoes
You really don’t need much for this recipe. If you have an Air Fryer, you can use it to set these tomatoes and forget about them. It’s just as easy to make these in the oven, which I often do if I have a particularly large batch.
One thing you will absolutely need is parchment paper – it makes the removal of the dried tomatoes simple and mess-free.
For ingredients, you will need:
- your choice of tomato
- any additional herbs you would like, such as basil, oregano, and parsley
- olive oil (optional for storage)
Pre-heat your oven to 250° F. Line a pan with parchment paper.
Cut your tomatoes into slices. If you are using cherry tomatoes, cut them in half and lay them face up on a parchment paper. sprinkle some salt and any other herbs over the tomatoes.
Place the tomatoes in the oven for 3-4 hours. Depending on how juicy your tomatoes are, they might take less or more time. Keep an eye on them, and remove them from the oven once they are withered and dry. They should slide off easily from the parchment paper.
Store them in a sealed container in the fridge for a few days, or cover them in olive oil to keep them fresh even longer!
Easy Sun-Dried Tomatoes (Whole30, Paleo, Vegan)
- 1 package cherry tomatoes
- 3 tsps salt
- 1/2 cup olive oil (optional for storage)
- 1 tsp basil, oregano, parsley, or other herbs
- Preheat your oven to 250° F.
- Line a pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Slice your tomatoes into desired size. For cherry tomatoes, slice them in half.
- Place the cherry tomato slices face up on the parchment paper. Sprinkle them with salt, pepper, and any herbs or spices you'd like to add.
- Place the tomatoes in the oven for about 3 hours. Depending on how juicy and big your tomatoes are, you might need to take them out before or leave them in later.
- Once the tomatoes are dry, remove them from the parchment paper and store them in a sealed container.
- To keep the tomatoes for longer periods of time, put them in a sealed jar and cover them in olive oil.