Mother’s Day is this weekend, and if you are a brunch sort of person, this delicious scone recipe is for you! It is lemony without being overly sweet, and the blueberries add a fresh tangy taste that is perfect in the spring time. I also can’t believe how incredibly easy this recipe is – it comes together in under a half an hour! Add this to your Mother’s Day brunch menu or simply make it for a delicious scone to munch on throughout the week. An added bonus to this recipe is that this scone is extremely light – coming in at about 160 calories each. I hope you enjoy this easy gluten-free and dairy-free recipe!
How to make Lemon Blueberry Scones
This recipe does not call for anything fancy, although you probably will want some parchment paper. Parchment paper makes removing the scones from the tray simple and easy!
For the Lemon Blueberry Scones, you will need:
- almond flour
- coconut flour
- ground flax seed
- coconut oil (melted)
- baking powder
- vanilla extract
- maple syrup
- lemon juice
- coconut butter (optional – for drizzled topping)
Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
To make the Lemon Blueberry Scones, combine the ground flax seed in a large bowl with water and allow it to sit for about 15 minutes. A more gelatinous texture should form.
After the flax egg has formed, add in the vanilla extract, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, and lemon juice. Stir together the ingredients until they are combined.
Next, add in all the dry ingredients: the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder and salt. Stir the dry ingredients in well with the wet ingredients until they are well combined. A nice ball of dough should form. Lastly, fold in the blue berries.
Using your hands, shape the dough into a round and flat shape and place it on the parchment paper lined baking sheet. It is important to make sure the dough is evenly distributed. After you’ve finished forming the dough into a shape you like, place the tray in oven. Bake for 15 minutes.
After removing the baked scones from the oven, drizzle some melted coconut butter over the top before cutting into eight pieces. Add some lemon zest on top for an even more lemony taste!
And that’s it! Enjoy this beautiful spring dish that is even more tasty than it is gorgeous!
Lemon Blueberry Scone (Vegan, Paleo)
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 6 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, place the ground flax seed and water. Let it sit for about 10-15 minutes until a gelatinous texture forms.
- Once your flax egg has formed, add in the vanilla, maple syrup, melted coconut oil, and lemon juice. Mix thoroughly.
- Add your dry ingredients to the bowl, stirring until combined: almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, salt.
- Once a nice dough forms, fold in blueberries.
- Using your hands, form a ball of dough and place on the parchment paper. Press down the ball to form an even flat circle. Make sure the thickness of the dough is the same throughout the form!
- Place in the oven for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove from the oven. Drizzle with some melted coconut butter and top with some lemon zest.